I overheard a conversation today between two preschool moms that I know. One is my height and about thirty pounds lighter than me. The other out weighs me by at least fifty pounds. The skinnier one was talking about South Beach and how she lost 17 pounds in three weeks last year. She has since gained the weight back. When she tried it this year she only saw a loss of 2 pounds. Her dr told her that she'd already shocked her body last year and it wouldn't work the second time.
Come on. Do people really believe in this stuff? What ever happened to good old fashioned calorie counting, portion control and exercise??? Gimmicks and tricks don't work for the long term. Forget the cabbage diet. Or grapefruit diet. Or all meat diet. These things aren't the real deal. Even if the weight comes off you are going to be depressed when it all comes back and then some.
I struggle. Each and every day I struggle. It's a choice to overeat and eat crap. I would say 95% of the time I make the right choices. The other 5% I cave. I can sometimes stop myself from caving by making myself busy, doing housework, messing with the kids etc. But sometimes even that doesn't work and I eat those chips or have a second serving of something that I know I shouldn't have. But in the process I've begun exercising regularly and I'm still not eating any food after dinner. My next food intake is breakfast each morning.
People who say they can't lose weight or that the scale doesn't show it aren't trying hard enough. I think they don't realize all of the crap they are eating and what it adds up to. Add to that the fact that the more overweight you are the less exercising you are doing and of course you aren't going to see changes on the scale. Were you expecting a miracle? I've yet to find the perfect diet where you feel completely sated and can have all the carbs and yummy foods you want in excess. That does not freakin' exist people.
Each person has to battle their own demons and for the right reasons. As much as my husband would love to see me three or four sizes slimmer, I have to want it. As much as I'm reminded about my family's health history, I have to recognize the warning signs and want to fix it for myself.
Do I want to be another 50 pounds lighter? Hell yes. Am I going to make it happen? My promise to myself is a resounding HELL YES.
Forget those gimmicks. They are just not for me. And I would hope people start to realize that they are just that...gimmicks and tricks.
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Forget the gimmicks
Posted by Jen at 2:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment