CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Another Project

Today I started a huge undertaking with my Aunt Connie. Almost 11 months after my mom died, we began to prep for making five memory quilts from her clothes today. I haven't looked at some of these items since the summer so of course there were tears. But not as many as I had counted on. Sometimes I surprise myself with my strength.

We ripped and ironed. And cut and talked. And ironed. And laughed. And cried. And ironed some more. Besides sharing great memories I am definitely going to improve my ironing skills with this project.

The scope is so huge to me. I have no idea what we'll have or when we'll end up. But I think that's half of the fun here. And it really is a great project. When we are done we'll have five quilts that are smaller than a twin in length by about 1/3 of a decrease. And at least as wide as a twin I think. Maybe smaller. I don't know, I'm not a quilter so I'll leave the measurements to her. I'll take pictures next time to document. I'm hoping to make it a weekly occurrence until she starts back to work in June. That means less than two months to get a good handle on these.

One of the best parts? She's doing the sewing. I'm just doing the brainstorming with her and the manual labor part.

The really best part.....I'll forever have memories of my mom and me in one piece that I can physically hold. There's something about that that makes me smile. She can't be here with me. But I can still touch something that touched her and bring her a little bit closer to me.

And the really really best part....any time I'm with one of my mom's sisters......pieces of her come floating back to me and warm my soul.

0 comments: