Big S and I had the opportunity to sit in the audience for Stephen's school wide assembly the other day. The children were recognized for citizen of the month, turning in lost and found items, responsibility awards, class recognition for good behavior, etc.
And then you had the Book-It recognition. Remember book-it? Where you read so many books, pages or minutes and at the end of the month get a pizza certificate. As a first grader the goal is 200 minutes per month. Let's do the math...10 minutes a night for twenty nights of the month. The child can read to you or you can read to the child. Last year for kindergarten the goal was 15 books a month. That's right. One book every other day. Ridiculously low requirements. But, hey I have an English lit bachelors degree and I love to read. Anything short of fanatical is low to me.
At the assembly they recognized the book-it kids for the first time this year. Out of the classes of approx 23-27 kids only 4-6 kids from each class were recognized. This means the other children didn't fulfill the requirements. The 4th and 5th grades didn't have anyone recognized at all.
I find this pathetic. While I'm at home helping my children learn and furthering their education the other parents in our school district are doing what? Taking their kids to soccer practice? Shoving their children in front of the TV? Letting them run the neighborhoods? Working a bazillion jobs so their child can dress really great but not have any parental interaction EVER?
This steams me. Can you tell? Could this be one of the reasons why our country just isn't that smart? When parents can't even take the time to show the other educators that they are helping their children with their reading?
Pathetic.
Saturday, October 29, 2005
Pathetic school news
Posted by Jen at 11:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment