CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas Traditions

My son had to write a paragraph on his family's traditions at Christmas time. And here is what he wrote...

My family Christmas Tradition is that we honor God. We also go to my dad's mom's house and open presents on Christmas Eve. Also on Christmas Eve, I wake up my mom and dad and my sisters and I tell them santa came. Me and my family open presents together.

Keep in mind that he is in second grade. Usually I smile and think "aw, how sweet". But today when I saw this I said "what the hell". Silently, of course.

Now, I'm glad he mentioned God. Being that we are pretty laid back in our religious undertakings around here. At least God earned top billing and he got that right. The rest of it was so not even remotely close to being what we do.

I tried to talk with him about some of our traditions. He so blew me off. I did spout off as much as I could...like the cookie baking, the driving around looking at lights before the holiday (and the traditional getting lost while we are doing said driving), putting up the tree together and the special ornaments and their special spots on the tree, going to my side of the family on Christmas Eve (including his great grandparents), seeing Steve's family on Christmas Day, and opening up at least one present from us before the whole ruckus of Christmas takes place.

But as every head strong 7 year old will do....he insisted that those things I listed off were just baloney and that he had it right. Even though he has never once in his seven years went to Grandma Nancy's on Christmas Eve....He. Was. Right.

Does he pay attention to what goes on around here? Or did he just want to write the stinkin' paragraph even though it wasn't true?

0 comments: