CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Kiss

Grandma Betty died Saturday evening. Our time since then was spent readying our family for the visitation and funeral, getting the kids to my parents, getting ourselves to Flint and spending time with Steve's family.

Stephen is almost 7. The girls will be five in October. Grandma Betty's death has been their first extended exposure to funeral homes and grief. As I thought, Stephen was full of emotion off and on. Saying good bye to her yesterday was hard on him. And seeing his grief of course makes it hard on us as his parents. All while going through our own feelings of loss and sadness. But Stephen behaved so well through the long days and many times we heard people say things like "well, can't mistake whose son that is. Look it's Stevie's little boy." You can move away, you can grow old, you can have off spring of your own. But there are those who will always call you Stevie. Very fitting as Grandma called Steve Stevie and she called our Stephen baby Stephen, even though he was growing like a weed and no longer a baby!

I was only part of Grandma Betty's life for the last eight years. But because of Steve and I she had our three kids to love on during those years. And love them she did. Even if she grumbled about bubble gum and sprinkles during some of our visits!

The last time my kids saw Grandma Betty alive they blew her kisses as they were leaving. Never did we ever leave her and Nancy without giving them hugs and kisses and I love you's. When our girls attended her visitation it was no different. But it was heartbreaking. Angelina, without any fear, had me take her to the front to see Grandma Betty. She blew her a kiss and then waited. I didn't realize what she was doing until she said the following.

"Mama, she didn't wake up. You have to make someone bigger get closer to her and give her a kiss so she'll wake up. I want her to be awake."

Memories come and go, people fade in and out of our lives. But I'll never forget my baby wanting her Grandma Betty to wake up. If only.

0 comments: