CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Read to your kids

I'm on this reading kick. I'm always reading. I probably drive Steve nuts with my reading. I could read much of my day away if I didn't have other responsibilities. I chose to be a lit major in college because it was something I enjoyed, not so much something I could make big money at. Who can make money after graduating as an English Lit major? Certainly not me. But it's comes in handy with my kids.

Teachers stress reading so much during these early years. I'm lucky, Stephen is a great student and gets incredibly awesome marks on his report cards. I was blown away when I saw his reading levels. He's reading at a second grade end of the year level....and he's only in the middle of first grade. We read at home almost every day of the week. He reads to me, to the girls, to Steve. We read to all of them. They look at books themselves. He is starting to read alone, sometimes out loud and others not. He prefers to have an audience while reading.

They did a segment on today's news about reading to kids. According to the experts there are three things you can do to make your kids have a stronger literacy background. Read to them every day, have books available to them on their eye level for them to grab and look through by themself, and let them see you reading and enjoying books.

It's obvious from Stephen's grades that we're doing some good things in our house. And we do all of those things and more around here. Are you doing those things with your kids??? Reading takes practice but it's a gift that your child will use and enjoy for the majority of their lifetime.

0 comments: